The various code packages below are either installed via urpmi (if the package is available) or built from source code. Remember to run "ldconfig" between library installs! The URL's for all of the below was available either in the comments made by "configure" or on the honeyd site itself.
1) installed byacc, (which is required by flex) (via urpmi)
2) installed flex (which is required by libpcap)
3) installed bison (which is required by libpcap) (via urpmi)
4) installed libpcap (which is required by honeyd)
5) installed libdnet (which is required by honeyd) (see honeyd site)
6) installed libevent (which is required by honeyd) (see honeyd site)
7) installed honeyd
8) added IP address to interface via:
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.123.10 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 192.168.123.255
9) installed Mail::Sendmail from CPAN (for the smtp.pl script). Please note: had to force the install as it was hanging on a "send" test. (Note:fix later.)
10) installed Net::DNS from CPAN (for the smtp.pl script).
11) installed arpd
12) wrote a simple start-up script consisting of:
arpd -i eth0:1 192.168.123.10
ifconfig eth0:1 inet 192.168.123.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.123.255
honeyd -l log.honeyd -f honeyd.conf -i eth0:1 192.168.123.10
13) ran ./run-honyd (the start-up script above)
1) The libevent site has some links to some other interesting projects.
Update: this post was flagged (in June 2022) as violating Blogger's content policy (relating to Malware and Viruses). The above content has not been changed. Only this last statement has been added. Please note that the above post does not relate to Malware or Virsues.